Share

Share |

January 3, 2010

Health

I give 'health' little thought unless for some reason my own shifts from a state of wellness to a state of brokenness. It's one of those things you don't realize the value of until it begins to get in your way. And as thankful as I am for medicine that can help one overcome illness - I'm also painfully aware that the same medicine changes the way food tastes, the way I sleep, and the way my brain processes information. (Just FYI, I haven't had a truly academic thought since about December 11.) And, of course, since I finished up the last (3rd) round of antibiotics on New Year's Eve and the last of the prednisone on New Year's Day, I'm now - just a few days out - sensing that 'it' isn't over yet. This 'it' that is stealing my time and my patience.

If I'm honest, I'm not surprised that mr. health has kicked me this winter. I've not been giving him much attention. I've been functioning with too little sleep, with too little healthy eating, and with too little exercise. I've also allowed some stressful 'stuff' to have more of an impact that I should have. I think I've about figured out a strategy for staying well - but I need to get well first.

So...another important shift for Living 2010... making sure health is a priority and not an afterthought.

No comments:

Post a Comment