Share

Share |

February 13, 2010

Reclaiming Sabbath

I've been running about a thousand miles per hour in addition to thinking about a thousand thoughts per second. In 2010 I'm realizing more than ever before the necessity of sabbath. I'm not talking about the normal Protestant idea of 'Sunday' that is as driven by some work ethic that I'm not confident is of God - I'm talking about time to be. Just to be in God's presence. Recently I ran across this:

Be still and know I am God.
Be still and know I am.
Be still and know.
Be still.
Be.

I've seen that before - it's been around a long time - but I'm thinking 'Sabbath' lies in the truth of this pattern.

This 'thinking about resting and being' also reminds me of Elijah (1 Kings 19)...

The Holy One was not in the wind, or the earthquake, or the fire...

It was in the 'sheer silence' (as the NRSV puts it) that Elijah could clearly discern the Voice.

I do not make enough space for silence or for listening.

With technology making it possible to be connected with other human beings 24/7, an intentional space for resting from this constant state of being 'on' is necessary. Sabbath is necessary. Time to remember and to engage with family and God in a way that is different from other days is necessary.

So how does one create that space? Work (church and school for me; church and real estate for my husband; school and other activities for our children) consumes most of our time. Finding time for my 'own' sabbath rest is difficult enough - how can we find time to 'be' together?

This, I think, is the real purpose of this year of spiritual practices and reflection. To find sabbath.

2 comments:

Steve said...

Very Nice MB! Beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Hi Mary Beth.

I remember when I intentionally tried to build a Sabbath rest into my lifestyle. It was really good while it lasted.

I did it on Saturday instead of Sunday because I found church etc was NOT restful at all!

Jonathan from Spritzophrenia :)

Post a Comment